A tour thro’ the whole island of Great Britain is an account of his travels by English author Daniel Defoe, first published in three volumes between 1724 and 1727.
Here is an excerpt from his entry on Orford, Suffolk:
Orford is situate on the North-west Side of the River Ore, whence it has its Name. It was formally a Town of good Account, having a strong Castle of reddish stone for its Defence, of which, and of a Benedictine Nunnery near the Quay, there are still to be seen considerable Ruins. The Sea has so much withdrawn itself from this Town, that it is robbed of its chief Advantage, and deserves not the Name of a Harbour. The Town is mean, and no one contends for an Interest in it, but such as want to make themselves a Merit in the Choice of the two Members which is returns to Parliament. It is a Town Corporate, and is governed by a Mayor, eight Portmen, and twelve Burgesses; it has also a mean Monday market, and an annual Fair. It had the Honour to give Title of Earl to the brave Admiral Ruffel but that is now extinct.
(…) At Butley was a Priory of Canons Regular; founded by Ranulph de Glanville, chief Justice of England, to the honour of the Blessed Virgin. The Ruins of the Abbey, which are still to be seen shew it to have been very large; and the Gate-house is a magnificent Building: it remains intire, and embellished in the Front with many Coats of Arms finely cut in Stone.
A tour thro’ the whole island of Great Britain is now in the Britsh Library