by John | May 6, 2016 |

Last Light: Final Summer of Orfordness Lighthouse Visits

$article->leadphoto->description


Since 1792 Orfordness Lighthouse has stood on the Suffolk coast, vermilion and white striped, watching over and guiding ships and fishing boats to safety with its beacon of golden light. Seen from miles around, it is one of the most iconic buildings in this region’s AONB (Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty). Sketched by J. M. W. Turner, silent witness of secret military testing, home to many keepers and their families, nature now has advanced too far and is no longer match for our sentinel of the sea. The Orfordness Lighthouse Trust has announced this summer the final season in which the lighthouse will be open to visitors.

 

"The function of a lighthouse, of course, is to offer safe passage through hazardous or treacherous waters, and highlights man’s limited ability to control or master the seas"  (Jaques, 2015, 163)


The lighthouse stands on Orford Ness, a "rare natural phenomenon", 12 miles in length, Europe’s longest vegetated shingle spit, that, over the past 10,000 years, has been pulled and tugged about. Robert Macfarlane labels the Ness a "dynamic structure": "Created and shaped by tide, current, shore-drift and weather, it is in continual slow migration, forming and reforming over time". Coupled with coastal erosion, the lighthouse has forever been edging all the closer to the sea. The Trust put sea defences in place in 2014 and 2015, but in January this year, due to this winter’s particularly wild storms, were damaged. £10k was raised and extra defences were put in, but unable to stall the shifting shingle: the lighthouse now stands on its own promontory, with the beach line to the north and south now inland of the structure.

The Trust is now investigating means of extracting and preserving part of the lighthouse, and is hopeful that funds may be raised to reassemble it on another part of the Ness or elsewhere on the Suffolk coast. In the meantime, summer dates have been announced to visit the lighthouse in its entirety:

Sunday 22th May

Sunday 26th June

Sunday 24th July

Sunday 7th August

Sunday 21st August

Sunday 4th September

Sunday 2nd October

Boats will depart Orford Quay for the Orford Ness landing stage at 1:30 pm and return at 4:00 pm. Please email orfordnesslighthouse@gmail.com to reserve a place and visit the Trust website for full visit details.

Make a weekend of it and stay in Orford with Suffolk Cottage Holidays.


Related Articles

$other->leadphoto->meta_description

Framlingham Castle

Arriving at Framlingham Castle today we see the extensive remains of a magnificent 12t...


$other->leadphoto->meta_description

The History of Martello Towers

In the early nineteenth century, the windswept coast of Suffolk was home to a number...


$other->leadphoto->meta_description

A History of Fishing on the Suffolk Coast

Fishing has been one of Suffolk's most important industries for at least 900 years. So good w...


$other->leadphoto->meta_description

Snape: A History

Snape is perhaps best known today as the venue for the Aldeburgh Festival; the Snape...


$other->leadphoto->meta_description

The Merman of Orford

In London. the athletic and active Henry II sits on the throne of England, plotting an...


$other->leadphoto->meta_description

Aldeburgh in the 19th Century

It is often said that Suffolk's landscape has changed little over the past century but what of...


$other->leadphoto->meta_description

Demon Dog: The Legend of The Black Shuck

In August 1577, coastal Suffolk was hit by great storms of other-worldly proportions....


$other->leadphoto->meta_description

Suffolk’s Farming Past: Sibton Abbey

In 1539, all monastic property was transferred to the control of King Henry VIII, inc...


Visit Orford Footer